Monday, November 5, 2012
Assessments Through Student's Eyes
I really like the Turning Failure into Success scenario given in this article. Isn't this the point of school? to learn. Assessments are there to measure what they already know. Students really don't get that much learning out of it. I don't think that assessments should be changed. I think that it is necessary for teachers to evaluate the progress their students. I just think that the one time opportunity of assessments should change. The mistakes that a student makes on an assessment provides a great learning opportunity. I think that learning from your mistakes is one of the best ways of learning. Why not take advantage of this great learning opportunity? Instead of giving this one time opportunity for success, students should be able to be getting something out of them. This also helps a student break a losing streak if they get that "AH-HA" moment where they realize mistakes that they do. This confidence will most likely get them on the winning-streak that will help them succeed in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
There is nothing quite like seeing someone have the "Ah-Ha" moment. The time when everything clicks into place. It is almost like a veil is lifted from in front of your eyes and the subject is made clear. One way I have seen this concept come into fruition is when I have been teaching/studying with my fellow students. Needing to understand the material to the point where I can explain it unearths many 'Ah-Ha' moments of clarification.
ReplyDeleteI think learning from your mistakes is important to the learning experience, but I also think we need to give students a guide or pathway to success built from their failures. Not every failure is going to bring success naturally, so it is partly the teachers job to prescribe an appropriate and efficient method of improvement.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in grade school, there was definitley a year where I struggled and constantly felt like I was on a loosing streak. I didnt think I was a good test taker and was very anxious. If teachers would have done assessment in a way like what you mentioned, I would have felt so much more confident, which in my opinion is half the problem with students and assessments today.
ReplyDelete