Monday, November 26, 2012

Learning How To

I decided that I was going to learn how to play "Let It Be" on the piano.  I have a couple years of piano experience.  This was going to make it a lot easier to learn this task.  When I searched YouTube for the right video, I had plenty of videos to choose from.  I had to then search through which ones were even  close to helping me to play the song.  Then out of the ones that helped I had to find the one that used the terms of music that I knew.  After about 30 min of many times of replaying and rewinding through the video, I was able to play the song (not perfectly though).

I think this relates to teaching with the help of videos.  I think that the students need some sort of background knowledge to be able to understand the topic.  If I didn't know anything about piano or music, it was going to be hard to be able to learn how to play with the language they used in the video. I also think that you need to narrow down the videos that are out there that actually are useful in learning.  However, I think you do need to need to have a variety to give students the choice to fit their learning styles.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with using videos etc in the classroom. But on the other hand teachers should use them to enhance their lecture and what there teaching, not depend on videos to teach for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your thoughts on background knowledge. I know there are certain tasks that can be done without help that do not require background information before you actually attempt to learn it, yet there are tasks that do require this. Sometimes its hard to find this information and at other times it is easy. I also think that narrowing down information, like you mentioned, is a deciding factor of success. You don't want a source that provides useless information or misleading steps. Well written.

    ReplyDelete