Link to the Article
In TEAC 259 we talk about how technology can be a huge advancement in the classroom. New technology will make teaching easier and better. With all this praise about education and technology, we forget to think about the downsides of technology in education. One major downside to technology and education is cheating. Many students cheat because they want to do as best as they can in their studies, and they don't really care how they do it. Advancement in technology have made it way too easy for students to cheat with their school work. There are infinite ways for students to communicate and collaborate about school work in the wrong way. There is even more ways to find information on any topic imaginable, and it could be on a students paper with two clicks of the mouse. With it being so easy I think that schools need to step up their enforcement of their cheating and plagiarizing rules.
Preventing students from cheating is a mighty task. However, this is where technology could be useful again in the classroom though. There are many anti-plagiarism software that are already available for schools to get. I think that the biggest place schools need to focus on is online assignments/test. It is too easy to have another tab open and Googling the question while doing an assignment. Companies that make this software should do something about that because that is probably the most common way that students cheat.
I agree with you that it would be extremely hard to monitor cheating with technology in the classroom. I agree that there are also ways for educators to monitor cheating, but I still think it is a tough task with all the information resources on the internet.
ReplyDeleteThis is a good point to bring up, in how technology creates possibilities but at the same time creates problems. There is still technology that I think needs to stay out of the classroom because it creates problems like cheating. Just when we think technology is grounds to improvement, it finds a way to hinder or take away from the students' learning experience. I'm curious to see how teachers react to cheating with this increase of technology. Nice job.
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a good point. I am curious to see how teachers today deal with the issue of cheating, especially in classrooms that consistently use technology. I wonder what ways teachers will monitor cheating and how things will change when I become a teacher.
ReplyDelete